Table of Contents
What is the Android operating system?
Android (OS) operating system is an open-source mobile operating system that is primarily made for touchscreen mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. It is built on a modified version of the Linux kernel. The Open Handset Alliance, a group of developers, creates Android, which Google financially supports. The HTC Dream, the first commercial Android device, debuted in September 2008 after being revealed in November 2007.
Android is a powerful and versatile mobile operating system that offers a wide range of features and benefits. It is the most popular mobile operating system in the world and is used by billions of people around the globe.
Android OS Market Share
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world. According to StatCounter, Android had a market share of 71.22% as of July 2023.
Android OS Features:-
- Touchscreen Support: Android was created with touchscreen devices in mind. Numerous multi-touch movements, including pinching, swiping, and tapping are supported.
- Widget Support: The home screen of an Android device can be customized with widgets, which are compact programs. They offer rapid access to information and features including the latest social media posts, weather, and news.
- Notification Support: Applications can alert consumers to significant events using Android notifications. There are several different ways to display notifications, including in the status bar, lock screen, or in a pop-up window.
- App Permission: Android gives users the option to limit the permissions that apps can access. For instance, users can decide whether to give a program access to their contacts, camera, or location.
- Security Features: Android has a lot of security measures, including data encryption, virus screening, and sandboxing.
Android OS Benefits:-
- Open source: Anyone can create and distribute their own version of Android because it is an open-source operating system. As a result, a variety of Android devices and applications are now readily available.
- Affordable: In general, Android phones cost less than other mobile phones. This is due to the fact that Android is an open-source operating system, which exempts device manufacturers from paying Google a licensing fee.
- Customizable: The Android operating system is quite programmable. By adding multiple launchers, themes, and widgets to their devices, users can alter the way that their smartphone looks and feels.
- Wide Range Of Apps: Android applications come in a variety of categories, including games, productivity tools, and social media apps.
Android OS Architecture
The Android OS architecture is divided into five main components:
- Linux Kernal: The foundation of the Android operating system is the Linux kernel. The device’s hardware resources, including the processor, memory, and storage, are managed by it.
- Android Runtime: The Android runtime is responsible for running Android applications. It includes the Dalvik virtual machine, which is a specialized Java virtual machine designed for mobile devices.
- Core libraries: The core libraries provide a set of basic functionality that all Android applications use. This includes things like networking, graphics, and security.
- Application framework: The application framework provides a higher-level set of APIs that Android applications can use to build their user interfaces and interact with the underlying system.
- Applications: Android applications are written in Java and packaged into APK (Android Package Kit) files. APK files can be installed from the Google Play Store or from other sources.
What is Android?
Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software. It is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Android is developed by a consortium of developers known as the Open Handset Alliance, though its most widely used version is primarily developed by Google.
When was Android released?
The first commercial Android device, the HTC Dream, was launched in September 2008.
What is the Android Open Source Project (AOSP)?
The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is a free and open-source software project that provides the source code for the Android operating system. Anyone can download and modify the AOSP code, which allows for the creation of custom Android distributions.
What is the difference between AOSP and the version of Android that Google develops?
The version of Android that Google develops is based on the AOSP code, but it includes additional proprietary closed-source software. This software includes Google Mobile Services (GMS), which includes core apps such as Google Chrome, the digital distribution platform Google Play, and the associated Google Play Services development platform.
What is the future of Android?
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, and it is likely to continue to be popular for many years to come. Google is constantly developing new features and improvements for Android, and there are no signs that the company is slowing down.